Thursday, February 18, 2010

Searching For Information On A Guy

I was thinking of a guy I knew last in 1973.

So I tried to find out all I could find about him on the internet, which wasn't a terrible lot.

As I traced it, I discovered something that surprised me, that he wasn't still in the same town where I knew him.

I found a tiny article at a newspaper site, from 1961. That gave his brothers name and a "Mr. and Mrs" who were his parents.

I went to the Social Security Death Index and found who were likely his parents, dying there at the town I knew him from. The dad's name (middle name) matched up with the name of the "Mr." from the 1961 article.

Then there was an obit for the mom on the newspaper site, in the 2000s, saying where my ex-friend lived in that year. Which was in a completely different state.

Searching for information on him there, I found his address and his wife's name (probably). And a few other little (not so helpful) details, including a workman's comp case file that didn't say much.

Going to Facebook with all this information, the wife, himself, his brothers, his sister (from the obit), I couldn't find any of them. There's people with the same last name who might be children or grandchildren, but at that point ... they're not likely to say it unless they're friends with someone from the immediate family.

So that's it. I didn't want to contact him anyway. We worked together. And to contact him after all this time, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. It was just an exercise basically in seeing if he was still alive and out there. It appears he is.