Friday, February 19, 2010

I Might Be Done Accumulating

I was doing some pre-Spring cleaning today, with the boxes that I had, only a few.

I started with some of my "library," books in the basement that are always the books I never can find when I want them anyway. They're already in boxes, for the most part. I have some in those big plastic totes you get at Walmart. But it's tough to find anything in them because they all look alike.

I have a number of paperbacks and a number of books of varying qualities. Once upon a time I sold some on eBay. Now I don't do that, I still have lots that I speculated on, buying them at thrift stores, book sales, etc. I've always been an accumulator -- and it's times like this, when I want to thin out, that it catches up with you.

I keep reminding myself that I took all these to the basement once upon a time. So it shouldn't be that big a deal to get them out. I don't want to be so overwhelmed with possessions.

Today, then, I got rid of 6-7 boxes of books. I could've done more but I didn't have any more empty boxes to use. Then it's a matter of what to do with them. I would guess that the thrift stores only want a certain amount and not all you can throw at them. I feel half apologetic when I take them there.

My point today is that I think I'm almost learning my lesson, maybe with age and worry. I've been an accumulator. I told someone today, though, that I think I'm done accumulating. From now on, with God's help, I will live differently.