Monday, February 1, 2010

Pork Burgers Smell Like Pig Crap

Sometimes I've smelled things in either a more accentuated or more exaggerated way. I had a real bout with it in October 2008, the condition of which I later discovered could be a case of "olfactory hallucinations." I've written out in in one or more of my blogs. One link. Two link. Three link. Four link. Five link.

Generally, though, since then, I believe I'm smelling what there actually is to smell. But sometimes the smells are a little weirder smelling than they seem like they ought to be. But it's very hard to objectively know what a thing is supposed to smell like and what it does smell like to someone else.

We had some ground pork tonight. It sounded good at the store. Then I got it home and was making it into patties and to me it smelled like the pig crap smell you smell when you drive by a hog farm. So I don't know what that's all about. I asked my wife about it and she didn't smell it. And I'm sure she would've said so if she did.

We bought some cheap popcorn at Walmart yesterday. Unfortunately we got 24 packs of the stuff, microwave popcorn, for $5. I made some and it smelled funky too, which might be my fault. I didn't like it. It seemed like it had a weird taste and wasn't that good. So I had the leftovers setting on a table near me here and I could smell it, without realizing what I was smelling. I thought maybe there was some kind of personal problem emanating from my pants, I wasn't sure. Then I concluded, No, it's the popcorn over there. I went and sniffed it and it seemed mildly revolting.

Nothing is as bad, though, as it was back in Sept. and Oct. of 2008. That was one of the weirdest experiences of my life. Everything I smelled was crazy. I was at my Mom's and I thought my pants smelled wildly rancid. I didn't say anything to anyone. I had several pair in the suitcase so I went and changed a couple times.

Then when I got home I was smelling very crazy things, leading me to Walgreen's to buy some antiseptic stuff, some hydrogen peroxide, with which I was scrubbing the inside of my desk, the floor, putting it on Swiffer wipes and mopping the floors. I was using Oust -- lots of it -- then shutting the door. You go in after doing that and you have a lot of Oust settling on everything. It's a mess.

Anyway, I'm sure it's no fault of the pork burgers. But it's definitely awfully coincidental that pork would smell like pig crap. It's almost like there really is something objective going on with the object, not with the subject, me.

On the other hand, if others don't smell it, that means something too.