Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Records On YouTube



I wonder who was the first person to think of just putting a picture of a record on YouTube and then playing the record. I should've thought of that ... but didn't.

I've done it a few times myself. The above record isn't one of mine. But it's one I listened to and it's a pretty cool song. A guy is being drafted and wants his girl to wait for him. The group, who I've never heard of before, does a great job with all the voices interrelating. It's nice.

The Elgins.

I like the way the poster (PJDooWop) does this. You've got a clean looking record, a clean opening, a crisp, good sound, like it was recorded directly into the computer, or came off an MP3 or WAV. Some of the ones I've seen at You Tube, you've got the guy holding it up to the camera ... it's going in and out of focus ... then they have to put it on the record player, then they set the stylus down, etc. I'd just soon be spared all that.

Another one I saw, the guy does about a 7-10 second theme song of his, complete with some animation, the same thing each video, then gets to the actual record. That's cumbersome and unwelcome. Please!

There are some where it's cool if they show the record player. Like I saw one where the guy has a really old time Victrola, and he also has a cool looking cylinder disc player. Still it'd be better if it was recorded in directly somehow, then the video would show it playing, not necessarily in time with where the music actually is. So you'd have cool video and good sound.