Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Few Old Country Boys

I was listening to a record a while ago, and I've decided I want to get more old country records.

There was an old label years ago called Artistic. It looks like maybe it was a mail order record. I don't know if they sold them in stores.

The typical Artistic record has eight songs on it. It's 7" and 33 rpm. The songs tend to be mostly very short, maybe to fit them on. I don't know if they're edited versions of longer songs, but that would be my suspicion.

A couple of songs on the one I was listening to tonight were under a minute and a half. I think one was 1:19. So is that the complete song? It has a beginning and an ending, but there might be something spliced out in the middle.

A couple of old names on this record were ones I wasn't familiar with, including Pete Pike and Slim Willet. But they sound very cool, old and rustic. I'd like to have more by them. I looked at eBay and almost everything by Slim is on 78 rpm records. One guy has an album for around $50. (I don't think so.)

There's some interesting old country stuff, though. One by Ferlin Husky is "Electrified Donkey." And one by Webb Pierce, a guy I'm reasonably familiar with (along with Ferlin), called "High Geared Daddy." You know a song called "High Geared Daddy" has to be good ... and it is.