Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Coolest Records I Heard Today

I'm still working through a box of records (45s) I got at a garage sale a little over a week ago.

There's some cool stuff in there, some gems.

I've never been terribly interested in "Tops" records. They were knockoffs of hits by no name artists, to sell cheaply and make a quick buck. I read some of their interesting story at this link.

I probably have a few more Tops records around. But there was one in this box (that I know of). It has four songs, as they generally did. One of them is a cover of "Peggy Sue" by a guy named Jack Sheldon. It's kind of humorous. He made a valiant effort at it ... but of course he's no Buddy Holly. In short, I loved it! That's one I'm going to listen to a few more times (on an MP3).

The other songs are about the same thing. They must have practiced up a song, then just went in and recorded it ... BANG, first take, we're done.

It's fascinating listening (I'm easily fascinated.)

The other coolest records were Hank Thompson's "Someone Can Steal Your Love From Me"; Jimmy Newman, "Blue Lonely Winter / The Devil Was Laughing At Me," Carl Butler, "Wonder Drug," Chet Atkins, "Yakety Axe," and the Wilburn Brothers, "Hurt Her Once For Me."

Hank's record there makes a good point. If I can steal your love from someone, someone can steel your love from me! And Jimmy Newman's "Devil" song has some cool sound effects. Carl Butler's "Wonder Drug" references Dr. Salk! And rhymes penicillin with killin'.

This is a great way to find music ... if you can manage it. Where I live (and go), boxes of 45s are very very rare.