Sunday, January 10, 2010

Wind Chill

It was supposed to be warmer today -- and the temperature did get up there, in the 20s. But the big problem was the wind chill. Even though it was warmer technically, it still felt drastically cold.

I was out at the edge of town, where the snow blows freer, and the countryside has that whole wasteland look going. It seemed like a terrible day to be out. I wasn't wearing gloves and had to carry out some groceries. My poor hands started getting instantly cold before I got to the car.

I looked over at the fields and saw the snow in constant turmoil and thought how fast a person would freeze if he started across there, and especially when you got out of sight of civilization. That would simply be it. It wouldn't be like in Doctor Zhivago, where he's walking across snowy fields and somehow survives. You don't survive that kind of thing.

Fortunately I didn't need to put this theory to the test. Because I got in my car, got it going, and headed home. I have survived yet another day. Another day that I can say, with some assurance, that I didn't freeze to death!