Friday, January 29, 2010

The Call Of The Wild

I might get it done. I might read the book "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London.

It's been a long time. They told us to read this book in the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I never got it done. But I did start it a dozen times or more.

The subject's come up again lately, talking with some folks I know about books. So I went to the basement and got my copies of it (I have 2) and sat down and read the first five or six pages. I can see why I never got it accomplished as a kid. The language is a little tough, the phrasing, and even now as an adult, I've come across a couple of things that I had to read a few times to get.

I might accomplish it. I looked and it's not even 100 pages. That shouldn't be so bad even if I don't care for it. And it would be nice to finally finish it, then Google my seventh grade teacher (I can't remember which one it was though) and let her know I'm finally ready for the discussion.

The thing about this is they told us we'd be responsible for it, that when we got to 7th grade we'd be doing something with it. So I had anxiety and fretted about it all that summer, still never getting it read. Then when I got to 7th grade there wasn't one single mention of the book. The subject never came up again! So for me, all that worry for nothing!