Saturday, January 16, 2010

Put The Bone In

I've had the 45 rpm record of Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun" for decades and had still never heard the flip side, "Put The Bone In."

When I was a kid we used to listen to records, the A side and the B side, over and over.

But at some point when I grew up I focused more on the A side. Not in every case but usually.

I was busy recording some of my 45s to MP3s and decided I may as well try this flip side. So I did.

"Put The Bone In" in my opinion is not a very good song. It sounds like one of those throwaway songs you might make up in the shower or driving down the road. The title is awful, in the first place, but funny sounding. Then the song itself is silly.

The story of it is that a woman's doggie has been hit by a car. She's at the market and buying some pork, and begs the meat guy for the pork bone for her dog. Why she would have to beg for it escapes me. Why not just buy the bone while buying the meat?

I've heard it now three or four times. It's short, less than two minutes.