Wednesday, January 13, 2010

People Walking In The Dark

Step by step, here they come. Walking, and making pretty good progress at that.

I'm cautious when I'm out with the dog. I don't want to be in anyone's way. I don't want them to come upon us and have to get by. One, the dog freaks out when that happens. Two, I'd just soon stay to myself. You be on that side of the road and I'll be on this side.

Tonight I saw someone coming from about a block away. You never know if they'll turn off somewhere else. Or if they'll look up ahead and see a shadowy guy with a shadowy dog and go to the other side of the street. That's what I'd do.

So I'm watching the dog and trying to hurry her up AND keeping track of the shadowy person advancing closer, ever closer. Why is walking such a fast thing? It's amazing the progress you can making just walking.

The dog doesn't know what's going on. She's not looking that far. This is my concern alone. So she doesn't know why I'm trying to rush her and get her to the corner so we can get to our own spot of safety.

This time we made it. The dog took a poop at the corner, I got it scooped up, then hustled her across the road. We still had plenty of time to spare ... and still the form advanced on.

I came back across the street, let the dog in the house, and went to put the garbage out. I looked way down the road, then back to the original spot, then down the road that goes off to the south, but the shadowy form was nowhere to be seen. That's something else that gets to me. How a person can walk right up on you, presumably be within sight somewhere, and yet you can't see them. It's like a magic disappearing act.