Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Dog's Matchless Socks

Because it's so cold out, minus 4 degrees right now, I decided to put some baby socks we have on my dog. We've done it before, past years. In fact these are the same ones. I even used them on her this morning.

She minces about like she can't get used to them. But once outside I think she sees the benefits of having them on. If she doesn't, and it's terribly cold, she gets to the place where her feet are so cold she can barely stand. So I'm busy half the time carrying her. I don't mind, of course, but I also want her to get her business done. And she doesn't exercise common sense when it comes to going to the bathroom, because she does so much sniffing that her feet get too cold and she's incapable of going.

Enter the baby socks! With the little Velcro fasteners. They're tough getting on her, because she doesn't help a bit. She's snarling her teeth. Her feet and legs are limp. She doesn't help a bit.

Once on, though, I know they make a difference. Like tonight. She was able to walk and sniff to her heart's content. Then she still had plenty of warmth left to actually get her business done.

But they're matchless because two are orange and two are green or light blue. But tonight there was one of each color on the front feet and one of each color on the back. Meaning we're darned lucky no other dog saw the fashion mistake!

The professional dog booties you can get, she doesn't like. We have a pair and she won't budge while wearing them. Plus they're harder than heck to get on. Maybe we got a size too small.