Friday, January 15, 2010

My Billing Off By 30 Cents

This morning I had some bookwork, our billing. It was a little more complicated because of some tax payments, so I was dealing with checks, tax forms, and the rest of my bills.

I thought I was being meticulous. It all had to fit together like a 1000 piece puzzle. I kept going back, backtracking, adding up columns of figures, then re-adding them to double check everything. At one point I was a little upset with myself because I can never trust myself the first time through. I have the question, If you don't trust yourself the first time through, how can you be so sure about the second time? Some of this stuff only needs to be done once ... because I do have some basic competence.

But I kept going at it, and eventually, guess what, I botched it by 30 cents. Meaning my deposit needed another 30 cents in addition to the checks in order to keep me from having to redo the whole thing, the forms, etc.

It's no big deal to walk around the house and find 30 cents. I couldn't do it an infinite number of times, of course, but once is usually manageable. But the point is, with all my backtracking, double checking, and care, it should've come out exact. Somewhere along the line I let down my guard!