Monday, November 9, 2009

Some Kind Of Phishing Scam?

Does this sound like some kind of phishing scam?

I get a call in the morning, a wrong number. "Is XXXXX XXXXX there please?" No, there's no one here by that name. You must have the wrong number, sir."

Then I get a call in the afternoon, another wrong number. "Is XXXXX there please?" Another guy asking for the same name, but just the first name, not the last name this time.

I said no, there's no one here by that name. But I say that's the second wrong number for a guy named XXXXX today. He says he gave this as his number. I say what's it for? He says it's something to do with a particular career field, that XXXXX put this as his number. I said, Why would he do that? He says, Maybe his actual number is just a number or two off.

Then the guy wants me to email XXXXX at a particular gmail account to tell him that he's given out the wrong phone number.

At this point I'm a little suspicious, of course. He's the one wanting to contact him. Why should I email the guy? I asked, Is this some kind of scam? I can't think of what the guy said, but I'm sure he said No.

I didn't email him. It sounded too weird. As I thought of it through the day I thought maybe it was some kind of phishing thing, involving the chat feature at gmail.

I see looking around on the internet that some things happen with that, but I didn't see any scam described quite like this one.

Is it a scam?