Sunday, November 15, 2009

Numerology

We're all familiar with the numbers, 1-2-3-4, etc., and that's that. They go along in a predictable sequence once you get used to the pattern. I'm sure this is basic stuff for most people.

And, they say (and I believe them) that numbers would just keep going if you let them. If you had the time and patience, you could eventually demonstrate that there's simply no end to how high you could count.

That said -- and it's all quite simple -- there's still some fascinating things about numbers. Such as particular numbers that show up in mythology, religion, scientific patterns, etc. For example, 3 and 4 are probably popular enough to warrant their own fan clubs. And I know 7 is a biggie. 6 has a certain fascination, like in 666. Not to wish myself any bad luck by saying it.

Tonight I was privileged to be mentioned in someone's 1,000th tweet on Twitter. How's that for a special honor? I hope no one would say it's arbitrary and meaningless. It seemed destined, since I showed up on the scene just as she was 5 tweets out, wondering what to say for her 1,000th. I stepped into the breach -- her indecision -- and said she could retweet something from me, which she did.

Then the weird thing about what she retweeted was possibly an inadvertent, unconscious quote I made that is substantially the same as a quote made by Woody Allen, as quoted on Twitter. I just saw it go by this morning and it made me think, Hmm, I wonder if I saw that before.

So this lady RTs me saying that, which might be plagiarism on my part. But honestly, I can't be expected to know what everyone everywhere has said heretofore. How am I supposed to know? Woody Allen might be sitting around his house saying all kinds of things and I don't know about it. Or anyone, celebrities and non-celebrities. I'm sure people are talking all the time. And the possibility that someone I say would coincide with something someone else has said seems pretty real. Put the numbers together, if you can think of the odds.

I think certain numbers are cooler than others, but each one has its proud place among the numbers, depending on whether you need to use it or not. If we didn't have a particular number -- like let's say 17 didn't exist -- we'd have to invent it. Because we couldn't very well go from 16 to 18 without it. And the pattern is obvious. If 10 + 6 is 16 and 10 + 8 is 18, it stands to reason that 10 + 7 would have to be 17. It's virtually inescapable.