Saturday, June 20, 2009

Suffering Rib Overload Lethargy

I'm getting somewhat better. But let's say close to an hour ago, I was feeling extremely tired.

I usually get that way right after a big meal. I think it's some kind of natural reaction where your belly says it needs all the enzymes your body can spare, so your brain goes wanting and gets tired. Couple that with the fact that I had a challenging intellectual task to perform which was absolutely necessary. That makes me tired too.

Now that task is done, and time is stretching farther out from when I ate, I feel like I'm getting my second wind. But I could still take a serious nap, and just might. Now that I think of it, I got to bed an hour late last night, so I only got seven hours sleep, and I need eight.

Today I grilled racks of baby back ribs. I'm usually such a cheapskate when I go to the grocery store. But yesterday I saw some of these being grilled at a grocery story and knew I would eventually need some. "Eventually" came less than 24 hours later. I went to the meat counter and got a couple of them, one for me and one for the other resident of this house. I believe this is the first time I've ever done this.

Then I thought, surely this big full rack is big enough to stretch out over two meals, since ribs is one of the few foods that is good as leftovers. But when it got right down to it, that plan went out the window because I just kept eating till I had devoured the entire rack. I'm almost ashamed to say it because it sounds extremely wanton. I had my mouth all smeared with KC Masterpiece sauce plus the natural juices of the ribs, accompanied by some Bush's baked beans [If Jay Bush's dog Duke would like to call me with the recipe, I won't sell or give it to anyone else.]

Oh, so I felt a mixture of extremely good and extremely overloaded. The lethargy arose in me like a mighty force. And I was looking to get my challenging intellectual task done but really felt no energy to do so ... until it was about half over. Then the pieces started falling into place, giving me the renewed energy to still be sitting here writing about it all these minutes later. Who knows what else I could accomplish?

Me, me, me, it's all about me. And my two enormous plates of ribs.