Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Daddy's Mornin' Coffee

I keep thinking of the song "Forty Miles from Poplar Bluff," as recorded by Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, the part about "Daddy's mornin' coffee came from old leftover grounds." I think of it whenever I'm making coffee.

I know a little about what it is to be poor. But not dirt poor. But to have to be using old leftover grounds, that has to be pretty low. I think I was asking the last time I wrote about this, Where'd he get the grounds good in the first place ... in order for them to be leftover?

In some of my consideration of this pressing question, I'm thinking maybe his neighbors or kinfolk took a mighty good pity on Daddy, and thus saved their used coffee grounds, giving them to him or maybe setting them outside their door for someone in the family to come by and pick up. In which case, if I'm the Daddy, I say, "I think I can get by without coffee ... because this is ridiculous."

Or maybe there's a cafe there with a kindly waitress and/or owner who saves up their coffee grounds for him. And, you know, think about it, if you had the total coffee grounds a cafe would go through in a day, even if they were left over you'd probably be able to get one more good pot of coffee out of the total amount.

Today I'm happy to report that I don't have to find out. I made a fresh pot of coffee. And I must hit the POST button now and have a sip before it gets cold.