Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Porter Wagoner

I want to mention that I also recently got a CD by Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, a collection of songs from some of their RCA albums together. I saw one of these LPs just recently at Goodwill. I believe it was the "Porter Wayne and Dolly Rebecca" album, which I've never had. I didn't buy it at Goodwill either because it was in terrible shape. (Although not quite as bad as what this Lynn Anderson LP looked like:)

Someone really did a number on that one, mangling up her face and eyes, and what looks like a big old tongue sticking right up her nose. Whoever did this also changed the title to "Pig Girls Don't Cry." (It wasn't me who did any of this ... I just report the news.)

Anyway, the song I want to comment about, from the Porter and Dolly CD, was originally from the LP I mentioned, "Porter Wayne..." And that song is "Forty Miles from Poplar Bluff."

I was listening to this CD while driving and I really liked the song "Forty Miles from Poplar Bluff." I listened to it twice, then the beginning a few more times just to make note of the lyrics.

The opening probably should be, "I never had a pair of shoes that weren't old hand me downs, and daddy's mornin' coffee came from old leftover grounds." The contention is over the word "grounds," since it sounds like Porter leaves off the "s," and the various lyrics sites on the internet, who perhaps are using a common file, also make it "old left over ground."

But be that as it may, it doesn't make any difference to my point. My point is that daddy was so doggoned poor that he had to have his mornin' coffee from leftover grounds? Where did he get the coffee in the first place? Was the local cafe throwing out their coffee grounds and daddy was there with a bucket to hurry them home?

I don't mind these old country songs making everyone poor as dirt, but that is so poor I don't know what could beat it. Maybe brushing his teeth with used toothpaste? Or recycling shampoo? If you're using leftover grounds to make coffee, maybe you should just forget drinking coffee and drink water instead.