Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Day In Death

Larry King didn't know what to do today. First, of course it was to be a tribute to Farrah Fawcett, until it was all trumped by the death of Michael Jackson.

Farrah Fawcett, or as we first knew her, Farrah Fawcett Majors, was very beautiful. Like everyone of a certain age, I remember the famous poster of her from 1973. I never had a copy of it personally but I remember seeing it all the time.

She's been in the news lately as being very ill, but there was good word from her people that her family was able to be with her, etc., and things were going OK on that front. So it wasn't a surprise, but still very sad news to hear she died.

Then Michael Jackson. I've been ambivalent about him in recent years especially. I never really kept up with his music, although I did own the "Thriller" album at the time, and a few other things, various 45s. And I have a couple CDs by him around somewhere. They had the "Dangerous" CD at a thrift store I go to a couple days ago, and to save money I didn't get it. I wish I would've. But I was sort of wishing that before he died. When I went back yesterday it wasn't there anymore, nor was the CD I was hoping would still be there, one of his sister Janet's, the "1814" album.

Michael's been around forever. I remember when the Jackson 5's first album came out in '69.

I was definitely surprised to hear he died ... or at first the rumor, pretty much confirmed reports.