Monday, May 25, 2009

Writing Books

I wonder how to write books. Like let's say you wanted to write about 500 books in the next year. How would you go about doing it?

It would depend what they were about. But just doing research and saying something authoritative, you couldn't write 500 books from scratch in a year. I heard of some guy on Amazon who has written 200,000 books, I think it was. But obviously he didn't sit down and write 200,000 books. He had some kind of aggregator program that took information and churned out that many whatevers.

I suppose I could write 365 books of free form/crap poetry in a year. If it doesn't make any difference what it is, you could just sit here like this, blah blah blah. Then sell it on the internet, if there's anybody dumb enough to buy it. And there probably is.

Every once in a while I hear of some romance author who has written 300 or 400 published books, those crap romance novels that you see. I see them at garage sales and they're the cockroaches of books. Matching covers, all that. They look like junk at 50 paces. But someone buys them ... and obviously the people putting them out make a living off it.

I don't know if I could write a romance novel. It would definitely pay to read a few first to get down the basic pattern. But what would it be? Girl goes to college, meets a guy. He's involved with someone else, but circumstance keep throwing them together. There's conflict between her and the other girl. Then the second girl's family, a band of vigilante hillbillies on a Jethro truck rides into town and shoots the first girl. So the guy and the second girl live happily ever after. Sounds about right.