Friday, May 8, 2009

All The Sounds

Now that it's spring I have the window opening. We're in that no man's land between winter and spring when it's too warm to have the furnace on and too cold to have the air conditioner on. So in that little strip of time, we open the window.

Opening the window and having it open, it's amazing all the noise out there. There's the obvious noise, trucks and cars going by. Then the other stuff, children screaming. They're not in trouble. They just like to scream, I guess. I can hear a dog right now, yapping off in the distance. Then there's just ambient noise, maybe bugs, maybe it's just noise in my head.

All the time -- often anyway -- I'm hearing mourning doves. It always puts me into a memory of my childhood when I used to lay in bed and listen to the mourning doves. I'm amazed that they haven't forgotten by now their familiar coo. It's always the same, right down to the precise timing between coos. Amazing.

Other birds are out there tweeting up a storm too. And an occasional crow. Speak of mourning doves, as I'm typing this I can hear one. Pretty soon it'll be time for a train.