Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Raspberries

I always liked the group The Raspberries. I originally had the first, second, and fourth albums. For some reason -- must have been a lapse in there -- I never had the third album, which I think was called "Side Three". I remember seeing it at a record store I used to go to. But I guess by then I was into something else.

The fourth album, "Starting Over," I got free at a place I used to work at. I listened to it quite a few times at the time and really liked it. But I don't remember much about it except for the song "Hit Record (Number One)," which is a great song by the way.

The only thing I had by them recently was the Capitol greatest hits CD. But yesterday I downloaded the first album from Amazon, on sale this month for $5. Since then I've listened to it a bunch of times. (I prefer having the CD, but I'm trying to download things and live without more bulk. But it's nice to have the pictures, notes, and things.)

It's as good, better in fact, as I remember. I like it right straight through and don't quite get the other reviews of anyone who say it's "flawed." I don't hear any flaws. I think it rocks along in a nice McCartney vibe all the way through. I love Eric Carmen's voice.

When I first got the first two LPs, I was thinking they might be another Beatles story, going from an image of apparent innocence to what the later Beatles were like. But it didn't really happen. "Starting Over" was a jump. And I never heard the third album, so I don't know what it was all about.