Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Dog's Feet - Part 2

When we last met, my dog didn't do her business outside last night. So this morning of course there was some pee on the floor. She's self-trained in this and does the right thing, meaning when she has to go she does it on the kitchen or dining room floor, which are linoleum and not carpet. That's a big favor.

Today when it was 20 below zero I was thinking she wouldn't need to go out. Just do it on the floor. But she's so used to going out that she kept that thought going. After quite a bit of that, I took her out on the sidewalk, no booties, but it was way too cold and she came right back in without doing anything.

After a while I went for the baby socks we have, which have a bit of Velcro on them, got them on and took her out. She did her thing very well and we came hustling back to the warmth.

Then at 1 p.m., the same successful story. Then close to 5 p.m., I thought, how about put some plastic wrap around her feet, then the baby socks would go on better. And that turned out to be so (but not as easy as I was hoping). We were out a sufficient amount of time for her to do her thing well and not get too cold. So that's all the counts.

I hate to see her out there suffering, prancing around in pain. So the baby socks are fine.