Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crazy Existence

People getting in trouble. How hard is it just to stay home, mind your own business, and remain free? This has been a day of "law enforcement" stuff for me, being in court with an acquaintance, being at the police department for some community business, and being at the jail, to hobnob and confer with the sheriff on related matters.

Court was interesting. It's kind of the nickel and dime level, at least when I was there. It's serious stuff some of the folks are charged with, but if they comply with a few terms they're dealt with in a fairly generous way. It could be worse, of course, with repeat offenses.

Being back at the jail -- I've visited before a time or two -- it reminds me, as though I needed reminding, how nice it is to be out and free. There they are, seen on the video screens especially, milling around in their orange uniform, watching TV, talking on the phone, and just sitting around. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard just to behave. But what's just a minor argument, say, between mates for us, might be a knife fight for them.

I reviewed the official crime statistics for the year, and there are crimes in practically every category. Homicides, I don't think there were any. But everything from sexual assault to vandalism to burglary, theft, you name it. Someone's out there making these crazy choices.

Just driving home at the end of this day, I'm scrupulously driving the speed limit, stopping at stop signs, the whole thing. I'd hate to be hauled back out there, this time as a guest! "Hey, didn't we just see you!"