Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Faking Your Own Death

I haven't looked at the details, but I saw a story about a guy wanted on financial fraud charges who apparently was trying to fake his death by parachuting out of a plane and letting the plane crash. That might actually be worth reading, because, if true, that's wild.

Recall, a lot of people thought Elvis had faked his death. But he would've turned up by now. So it would seem the actual fact was that he died. Whether others have faked this death, it's not a subject I associate with actual cases. Most of the ones who do it are probably just missing person cases who never turn up. Or, like one I heard of last year, they turn up because they are prominent in their new local circles; the case I'm thinking of, I believe the guy ran for mayor in a town, won, then others heard of him or investigated his history.

It would not be impossible, of course, to disappear, but it'd be hard to stay gone. Or hidden. I'm not about to do it ... for many reasons ... I'm not unhappy with my life ... I have family I want to stay in contact with ... and so forth. How, though, would you go about it? One way I would not do it is to fly up in a plane, parachute out, and let the plane crash! Was the idea that the plane would be on fire and burn up the body completely ... I mean completely?

The ideal way would not be to risk your plane crashing and killing people. You should just go away. Or move to another country. Or move to a big city and get a studio apartment, a trench coat, keep your head down, and do little else.

It actually sounds like a drag. What do you do about taxes, Social Security, a will, property, etc.?