Friday, January 30, 2009

Jerry Springer

It's great to see Jerry Springer's still on. Someone mentioned it to me in the last month and I was glad to hear he was still going. Then today, while messing with the cables on my TV, trying to make the picture come in better, his show came on and I watched it. It's been probably five years since I saw this.

He has the same format and the same basic show going, which today was entertaining but not as good as it might have been. Just like I remember, it was the confessions of various cheating partners, then confrontations with the other woman and any other parties who might be relevant to the situation. A few times it descended into the (very necessary) scuffle. One ended up with two men shirtless but somehow both maintained the presence of their tie. So that was nicely formal.

The participants are the same old losers the show has long been known for, and their tawdry, two bit affairs, magnified on TV for that one hour, as if anyone really cares. We don't care, we just want to see you spill your lust or anger and fight.

Anyway, I approve, to a certain point. But it takes a lot to really titillate, and this was pretty mild. There may be every shape of romantic triangle and rectangle, but when you get down to it, it's pretty much all the same.

In other news, while I was working on the cables, it was right at the time that Maury's show was wrapping up. I was amazed not only to see IT was still there too, but that his theme hasn't changed in at least five years. He's still doing DNA paternity tests. Is that all he does? How do people stay interested in that forever? It has to be the build-up stories of course.