Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Waiting For Winter's Worst

When you know winter's worst is on the way, it's like a death sentence. I think, because I've never actually been sentenced to death. Except in the same sense that everyone else has, someday, some way.

Winter's worst ... You never quite remember how terrible the brunt of winter's worst is until it happens again. I know in the summer, winter's like a nasty memory. I'll be walking around with a short sleeved shirt in the summer, and winter's far from my mind. Summer has its own problems, namely bugs.

Winter is the deadly season. A couple years ago we could've easily died on the road. It was as snowy, blustery, cold, and crazy as any day I'd ever seen. We were going 5 mph on the highway at times, and having a hard time seeing the road at that. It was simply the craziest thing I'd ever experienced. Then, fortunately, out of some kind of weird luck, we found a little hole-in-the-wall motel that was like Paradise in light of the situation. The big problem was what we would do in the morning. And it was so cold, it looked like one of my tires was going flat. A mechanic told me they sometimes do that. But we made it fine the next day, with the wind abated.

It's different when you're at home, which I am now. Then it's just a matter of waiting for it to do its worst and dig out.

Oh, one other complication, I have a dog that needs to go out, like dogs do, several times a day. That means many additional obstacles and misery.

But hopefully we shall all survive it. Like we have before.