Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Potholed Interstate Is Shameful

I would be remiss if I closed out 2009 without one final complaint, and this is a big one.

Can anyone tell me why they allow the interstate (I-29) at the south part of Iowa to be so pockmarked with potholes?

Everyone who's ever traveled that stretch of highway, the first 10-15 miles, knows it is simply riddled with crazy, huge streaks of potholes, virtually without respite. And it's been that way for years! Is there no way to get that particular stretch fixed? How can that be?

When I'm wondering whether I'm still in Missouri or not, I don't have to look for the roadsigns. I just look at the road itself. If the road's in fairly decent shape, then I know it has to be Missouri. When the road has gone completely to pot, then I know it's Iowa.

Come on, Iowa, get this stinking road fixed! It's shameful!

And everyone knows it. You can't tell me that the proper authorities have never traveled that road and that they don't know exactly what it looks like. Like I said, it's been that way for years! Whoever's in charge of these things also knows it. Why isn't something being done?

Fix the interstate!