Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Trying To Rip Christmas CDs

I have a box of Christmas CDs and I was trying to rip them. It turns out it's not as easy as it sounds.

For any semi-obscure Christmas CD, the odds of Freedb finding it in their database isn't good. I had three in a row. A couple of them I thoroughly expected it. Because lots of local groups, gospel groups, performers who go church to church, have their own CDs. And somehow they don't end up in the databases.

Plus, I like to get the tags and titles right. And it seems like there's so many flaky ones in the databases. To get them right is a long and dreary task.

Several made it, of course, big sellers, like Carpenters' "Christmas Portrait" and Bob Dylan's new Christmas album. I'm listening to the Carpenters MP3s. I love Karen Carpenter's crystal clear voice. Very pretty. Antiseptically pretty.