Saturday, December 19, 2009

The End Of A Decade

Of course I remember all the discussion around the turn of the century as to when a decade starts and ends, but none of that makes any difference. We obviously go by the beginning number, not by the idea that the 10th is the end of the series. So the '60s are 1960-1969, etc.

But the 2000s don't have any number like that, so I still don't know what we call this present decade. The zeros, I guess. Or the 2000s.

It suddenly occurred to me the other day that this will be the end of the decade, as reckoned above.

Meaning there'll have to be a radio channel for it, just like there is for the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s. Now the '00s! Because we're moving into the '10s or Teens. Awesome.

I hope I'm still around in the '20s, because that's where you have a decade where it's completely obvious what you call it. I won't make it to the '60s again, but I have memories of the last '60s. So I either picked the right time to be born or the wrong time.

In the end we all picked the wrong time to be born, since we're going to drop off just before we get to whenever. Mom and Dad had something to do with it.