Friday, December 4, 2009

If I Don't Eat It, No One Will

My dog likes to be with me. I'm in a particular room. But we feed her generally in the kitchen. So, to allow her to be with me and to allow her to eat, I've been going to the trouble of getting her food and bringing it to where I am.

That's fine, but she seems uncomfortable eating (only sometimes) under those circumstances. At least she's not always so picky with her food. Still, she knows it's hers and she knows she might want it later.

So whenever the cats get within 10 feet she gets upset, growling, and making even more threatening noises and moves than that. It's scary enough it keeps the cats at bay. And it scares me too because it's a sudden outburst in the course of a quiet room.

I was in two rooms, so I moved it to the other room as well. She picked at it, otherwise she kept a fairly loose guard over it.

Finally we went to the kitchen, and the bowl was moved again. This time, in the kitchen, where it seems she is more comfortable eating, she finished it off. Once the food is gone, she doesn't care about the empty bowl. If the cats get near it, that's OK.