Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mighty Like A Broad

That's a strong looking leg on the cover model, possibly an actual burlesque stripper. Tough looking, as might be hinted at by track 3 on side 2, "Mighty Like a Broad."

This is a record album I have, and I see other references to it online, including a nice album cover photo by some other guy on Flickr. I took my own pictures of it so I could get a good close up of that tough looking foot and leg.

A couple comments. I'm interested in the quotation marks on the performer's name. On the front he's "Bald" Bill Hagan and his Trocaderons, but on the back he's "Bald Bill" Hagan and his Trocaderons. Slight difference. The second song is called "Frotic Fantasy." I've never heard the word so that might be a misprint.

As for the album, it's on the Somerset label, album SF-27200 stereo. Somerset albums, as far as I know, were budget records, like Diplomat or Spin-o-Rama. But I don't know much about the subject. If you ever see the old "Hit" Records, they're usually no name artists. Of course I don't know how big "Bald Bill" Hagan was, but I'm thinking small scale.

Some of the other albums listed, though, have name artists, Ray Charles Singers, Dolly Parton, and Jim Reeves. But for the most part, they're Polka Party, Gold Award Hits of '67, More Tijuana Hits, etc.

The stereo on this album is really good. And the sound quality is really clear and nice. My copy's in pretty good condition. The cover's getting shot around the edges, but the music plays clean.

The songs are burlesque in quality, and a good mixture of moods. I don't remember much about each track. They're kind of generic, but still quite invigorating listening. I know when I started listening to the LP I was fully dressed, but by the end ... well, I won't say what I was down to, but I did really notice it when the air conditioner kicked on.

The tracks are Vampin' and Campin', Frotic Fantasy, Party Time, Koochie Galore, Frankie and Johnny. Then side 2: G-String Twist, Fascination, Mighty Like a Broad, Cha Bump, Girdles Aweigh.

Manufactured by Alshire International, Burbank, California.