Saturday, July 25, 2009

Famous On Facebook

I wonder how much a drag it is to be famous and on Facebook.

I saw an article somewhere today that said Bill Gates got off Facebook because 10,000 people wanted to be his friend. So I guess it would have its downside.

At Facebook I'm "friends" with a semi-famous guy, well known from records in the '60s. He's never personally addressed me nor I him. But I see what he posts and how it plays to a larger audience. Immediately 27 people will have "liked it." 27 others are quick with their "Attaboy" for whatever he says or does.

Maybe he doesn't know anything other than being famous like this by now. But I can see it being ... not that fun.

I, on the other hand, post on there that I went to the farmer's market, or something, and no one likes it and there are no "attaboys," or maybe someone from my family will say something (who cares?). And I kind of like it that way. There's not a whole bunch of people trying to glom on to me for my precious attention their way.