Sunday, April 19, 2009

Stationery Vs. Stationary

In one of my articles today, I used the word "stationary" a couple times, as relating to something that doesn't move. I always have to run it through my mental warehouse up there to make sure it's not supposed to be "stationery" with an E. I think, No, stationery with an E is for writing paper.

Fortunately for me, since I have enough mental clutter, I don't have any kind of spelling trick that helps me remember this. I just remember it as a thing should be remembered. So I got it right. Then I was at an event, a place today, and there was a table that had a basket marked, "Stationary," meaning the writing paper in the basket. I looked at it and thought, hmmm, did I get it wrong?

But no, I knew I had it right ... although there was that five second period of doubt.

Here's two words that shouldn't be confused, and I hope I have them right without looking them up. "Collectable" and "collectible." I drive by antique stores, flea markets, and see that they have "collectables" for sale and I think that can't be right. Something in my mind says it's the "IBLE" that's the noun and the "ABLE" that's the adjective.

So if I see just the opposite, "collectibles for sale" I think, yep, they got it right.

Maybe use The Rule of The Dogfood. It's Kibbles and Bits, not Kabbles and Bats.