Monday, April 13, 2009

Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Dies

Link. The passenger had piloting experience but not on a plane this size. They talked him down while the actual pilot was still strapped in the adjoining seat. Whoa.

My own piloting experience is minimal, nonexistent actually, being all on Microsoft Flight Simulator. My guess is the real thing would be harder than the simulator, and for big planes the simulator (in my opinion) is pretty hard.

I was trying to fly a commercial jet on there once and land at Omaha, but I kept overshooting it. I was out over the middle of Nebraska, then the middle of Iowa, all over the place and never could get the thing down right.

It was kind of weird looking, since it must have been set in such a way that you couldn't actually crash and die. Every time I crashed, not on purpose, mind you, it would just bounce off the fields and I'd be up in the air for another 30 or 40 miles.

I had an easier time of it flying a small plane to the South Pole. But I had to set it to make time go by faster, because it's quite a distance. I'm going up and down quickly but maintained it at more or less a level place. I got there, saw the big old white cliffs of the South Pole, landed it and quit the game. Too far to fly back.