Thursday, April 23, 2009

KFC Follies

Had another bad experience at KFC. LOL.

How long have they been a restaurant chain? 50 years? You'd think they would've perfected everything by now. But there's always these troubles there. Instead they have a worse system of taking your order than Subway, which of course is terribly bad.

Maybe it's just the help, but she didn't seem to have options, like someone else coming over to help customers. The guy ahead of us -- and there was only one -- took well over five minutes to decide precisely what he wanted. No exaggeration. What comes with the xxxxx meal? All kinds of questions. Then when he finally got it figured out, and it seemed that the clerk knew what he wanted, she had to rush around back there with the others to make his order. Finally they have it in sacks and are handing it to him and thanking him. When, wouldn't you know it, he had ordered some other things too that they either didn't hear or missed.

I was standing there trying not to seem perturbed, because I don't want the guy looking at me funny. But I was with someone else so I asked her to order for me and went and sat down. I really didn't want to cause any kind of eye-rolling scene or let my griping be manifest. So I'm sitting over there by the wall, and they're charging the guy for the missed food and rushing around to get it. By now there's been a lady behind us for a while and two other parties have come in the door. They can't even shut the door. There's getting to be a slight build up.

We ordered something very basic, very easy. And the clerk asked a couple times about the details. It was very easy, since it was exactly what was on the picture. But it's better to be right than wrong, so that was OK.

The food was OK. The grilled chicken, nothing to get excited about. The potatoes and the cole slaw, excellent. The chicken wing I had looked like it came off a little banty hen. So I don't know if they haven't been feeding their chickens, or maybe the chickens put their order in and never get their grain. They're still backed up at the barn door when the butcher shows up.

KFC never ceases to amaze me. I was looking at the buffet stuff, and they've had the same pattern all these years. Like they're afraid someone's going to eat their food and cost them money. Now they have grilled chicken. But the sign on the glass says you can have it "by request." They did the same thing a few years ago with rotisserie chicken. As soon as they have something new it bothers them to think someone will eat it if they put it within reach. So it was amusing to see nothing really has changed.

I've always had a theory over the years -- seriously -- that as stingy as they are at KFC, it's like they have a subliminal tape playing while you're eating that says, "You're full, you're very full." Then when you get to the door it switches over and says, "Come again soon. Come again soon." It's a very funny way of doing business, and I've never noticed another restaurant that does it like they do.

Would the Colonel himself put up with this? I doubt it. Of course he stayed home and made his own chicken!