Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One Hit Wonders

The question at Pop Answers (Facebook) today was "One hit wonders of the '80s."

I'm no expert on music of the '80s. But I definitely remember watching a lot of MTV at the time, the videos they had. At some point, mid-'80s, I more or less tuned out, so I know less about that period than any. Well, the '90s is about the same.

As for the answers, I only got a few. The biggest one I could think of was Dexy's Midnight Runners. They had the song "Come On, Eileen," a big favorite at the time. At the time I had their album on cassette, so I was familiar with all the songs. There were some good things on there. I might still have it somewhere. And it seems like they had another album, one from before that, that was available for a time at the record store I went to. But I didn't have it.

Having one hit is a weird thing. It always seems like if you can have one, you could somehow squeeze out another. But like I always say, at least they had one, and what do most of us have? None. I'm not much of a musician myself. So I think I can safely say I'm never going to have one hit. So I don't chuckle, make fun of, any of that, the "one hit wonders." I always wonder why it's so funny. Basically it's tough and unpredictable to come up with a big song, unless you have a natural platform, like you have a national TV show.

I'm listening to the debut album of Lady Gaga. And she already has at least two hits. I've heard them on the radio several times, "Poker Face" and "Just Dance." Just like that!