Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grieving No More

I mentioned Paul Harvey to someone the other day. I asked, "Did you ever listen to Paul Harvey?" And she said, and this is an exact quote, "Yeah, whenever I couldn't help it."

I have to confess, I laughed. Except it seemed like a very weird thing to say since he just died. We try to hold off on humor till the body is at least cold.

In someone case like Paul, though, we're not that emotionally attached. One, he was an older gentleman, 90, I believe. Two, we only heard him on the radio, and really not always by choice. You go to businesses, gas stations, whatever, and they have the radio on, so you hear whatever crap they happen to be playing. In his case, it was meant to be an entertaining spin on the news, which wasn't necessarily very entertaining.

He sounded like someone reading "Grit" outloud. Like an old guy who maybe had too tight underpants. Not exactly footloose. It didn't appeal to me, but when you heard it it was like something distinctive.

Anyway, all the best to his memory. I wanted to use that line she said. Cute.