Sunday, February 15, 2009

XM Radio

How can Sirius XM Radio not be making a profit? There must be plenty about high finance and big business that I don't understand. This is one of them. How can these guys not be making money?

Are they having big parties, buying yachts for their disk jockeys? It's crazy.

One, it's crazy to offer any on air personality $500 million. So I guess that sort of payroll might have something with doing you in. I withdraw my question.

As far as having a basic service of satellite radio, it seems like it'd be cheap enough to have a bunch of songs playing randomly in an endless way. Then the rest of us down here, with our radios, paying our subscriptions. It all works together in a harmonious way. We like the music, we pay the bill, they keep their costs down, bang -- they make money.

Yes, I guess, if you need to get fancy, and hire Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, Oprah, these might run up the tab. I personally don't want to hear Howard Stern, Martha, Oprah, or any of these other high priced celebrities. What they have to say to me is nothing. Just the songs, music on the radio is what I want.

I actually haven't listened to XM lately except maybe 15 minutes in the last month. They rejiggered the stations and I don't care for the new line-up. I'm a big Elvis fan, but I think it's stupid to have an all Elvis channel. Plus I hate all the Graceland talk talk talk. I miss the channel Fine Tuning, channel 76. It was cool, except for all the Celtic music, which I hate.

It just seems like it can't be that hard to make money. Now the stock is down, something under a dime, they're talking about bankruptcy. So it's crazy.