Sunday, February 8, 2009

Facebook Boredom

My whole family -- more or less -- has taken to Facebook. I'm seeing the arc of our usual involvement in things, which is gung ho at first, then petering off, then to the dumpster with it. That's obviously a common arc of interest, for most people I'd guess. It applies to TV shows. Whatever. Like Survivor, a show that once held us like a hypnotist, but did the same thing once too often. Or the old show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, that used up its 15 minutes in 10.

It makes me wonder what can persist. Maybe nothing. The arc is not the friend of persistence, but we're like sharks, moving on to the next prey, and always swimming. Speaking of swimming, I read today that some woman supposedly swam across the Atlantic Ocean. Except she had a boat and did 2100 miles in around 25 days. There sounds like something fishy there. Does that mean she jumped out of the boat and swam for an hour and got back on and rode the rest of the way. It said the most she swam was eight hours one day and the least was 21 minutes another day. So how you go that far without hitching a ride most of the way, it's beyond me.

Getting back to Facebook. What is there to it? It's boring on the face of it, not to be punning. I care what all these people are doing -- definitely, because they're my family. But some of it isn't interesting at all, such as whose birthdays they're adding to their calendar and all the invitations to add yourself to my family, join this cause, take this quiz, etc. I'm ignoring some of it. There's nothing really that I need to do, because it's going the way of the usual arc. Those who were posting plenty of things at first are posting less things now. It'll die.