Friday, February 6, 2009

Homemade Candles

I made four candles today. Someone gave me a kit, prearranged supplies in a box. I've had it a month and a half and decided today was the day.

It had four glasses, bigger than a votive, and enough soy wax for them. Four wicks, of course, and some coloring and scent.

It was not too much work, but a lot more work than just buying candles. It was enjoyable enough to do, and I hope they're OK. I might have messed them up a bit by setting them out in the cold. It looks like some of the wax pulled in. At least it looks like it through the smoked glass. Does wax do a shrinky dink thing when it gets cold? I don't know.

Technically they shouldn't be ready to burn till 9:00 p.m., but since they were out in the cold, maybe I'll try the first one a little earlier than that. Now I still need to do the clean up, scrape up any dripped wax, put the box in the recycling, and so forth.

I don't think I'll be doing much of this. But I'm tempted to get the stuff to make votive candles. I bought some recently and I'm not 100% pleased with them. It looks like there's two ways to get what you want, shop around or do it yourself. I'll probably shop around first.