Monday, August 10, 2009

It's Interesting Being Old

I've never had a problem with old people or the eventuality of getting old.

Right now I'm old if I'm thinking of ages I used to think of as old. I'm not 60 yet. But I think I read that Richard Nixon resigned the presidency when he was 61. Wow, that was young, and the guy seemed like he was around forever when I was a kid. Because he was.

I have a theory that no one is really old, but people are always the same kid they always were. You see a 90 year old person -- and if everything's functioning right, the same kid's in there somewhere.

This theory I think helps me relate to older people. Because I'm always thinking they have the same buttons we all have -- or had as kids. Just relate to them as much as equals, because we are, and everything is fine. There's no condescension and no kissing up to them based on age.

(I might've said some nasty things about John McCain's age in the campaign. But that was just political mischief.)