Tuesday, August 25, 2009

If You Can't Do It Right

I was trying to do something nice for someone today that involved pouring a liquid. But I was at a weird angle and needed to reach. I spilled a little, then continued pouring and of course I spilled more. It was embarrassing.

So I apologized and cleaned it up.

Driving in the car I made up a little song that essentially repeats over and over these lines to some trite tune: "If you can't do it right then don't do it. Do not do it if you can't do it right."

That's a good way to think. Why do it if you can't do it right? If your mind tells you it's a disaster waiting to happen, do not proceed. If the angle is bad, change the angle. If other circumstances are against you, do what you can to make things better.

From now on, no more proceeding with a 99% disaster likelihood. If I can't do it right I won't do it. I will not do it if I can't do it right.