Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cash For Clunkers

I'm just starting to notice signs at local car places about "Cash for Clunkers" and stories about it online. Now I'm seeing a story that John McCain will be opposing more money for "Cash for Clunkers."

Why McCain is opposed to it, I don't really know. His campaign was sort of a clunker and he got all kinds of cash for that.

When it comes to Brainiacs who know what good legislation is (or bad) I don't think we should be looking to McCain. After all, his idea of a great president (vice president who might have to step in) was Sarah Palin. And we know what a clunker that idea was.

I don't think my own personal clunker would qualify for this program. Not that I've looked it up, since I'm not in the market for a car. But I think it has to be a gas guzzler and mine gets fairly good mileage.

But I'm not opposed to subsidies for other people's cars, since it's all meant to stimulate the economy. They used to just send us a check. Now they're channeling the money into a program like this, which seems more efficient. Go right to the point of sale where someone is actually spending it.

McCain and the Republicans (clunkers every one) will be opposed to this. They are, after all, afraid that something might work. They're invested in the idea that Obama must fail. So they can stand back and complain about how he failed, i.e., precisely what they wanted. (Hint: The Republicans are no good.)