Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hillary to Drop Out

I think of "dropping out," being a drop out, and it's not a positive thing. Like if you drop out of the presidential race, can you go back and "get your GED" and become vice president? We're going to find out.

The long race is over. I was a Clinton supporter, for the most part, up till a couple months ago.

I'm very pragmatic, though. I was not personally attached, overly so, so I have no disgruntlement whatsoever. I simply want the Democrat to win, and that's the way it's been all the way along for me. I flirted with Obama, but thought it'd be cool to have a woman president, plus I like the Clintons, even though they put us through some very rough patches.

But when Obama won everything there for a while, and he started looking more inevitable, definite, which was before Easter, I said, OK, Obama, fine with me. He's great. He can do it. At that point, after that somewhere, I wanted it to be over, and it was frustrating for most of us that it kept dragging on and on and on and on.

Now, though, with the official magic number finally attained, and the coming dropping out finally to occur, we can step back and say, "Good!"

Obama's amazing. And it will be in Hillary's mind now and forever of what could have been. Because it is crystal clear to me that she would have been the nominee if Obama hadn't run. The rest of the competition wasn't competition at all. Without Obama, Edwards might have been more of a contender, but I think 2004 sunk him, along with all of his switched positions. It was like he didn't really have a history to go by. Hillary would have been the inevitable candidate, would probably have beaten McCain, and would have been the first woman president! That's really something to have in your mind, thinking, "But for this one guy!" I'm thinking of something I heard that Bing Crosby said about Frank Sinatra, and I don't have the exact quote, but it was something like: 'He's a singer who only comes once in a lifetime. But why'd it have to be my lifetime?'

All things being equal, from here on out, Obama ought to be able to put McCain away fairly easily. There are things about ageism I don't care for. I'm politically correct, all that crap. But there's something in the American psyche, I think it's there, that says we will not choose an old wasteland with young vitality staring us in the face. It's hard to say our best days are before us, it's morning in America, and then pick the Fisher King's sicker grandpa. So I don't see how McCain overcomes the mythology. You know he sleeps in a cryogenic tube. They pack it in a ton of ice every night. That's why the McCain expenses for ice is so high.

Bill Clinton built a bridge to the 21st century, George Bush built a bridge to Idiotsville, and now Barack Obama can get the bridge not only going the right direction again, but lead us to a better future. It's going to be 21st century--Take 2.