Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Centerfield

I heard the song "Centerfield" by John Fogerty the other day. I hadn't heard it for a long time.

I've never been especially crazy about it. But it's OK.

Maybe the bad thing about it is that I have lots of bad memories of playing baseball as a kid in Little League. They put us, the most incompetent kids, in the outfield for some reason. Now it seems to me like that's a very important spot in the field. I wasn't very good at baseball because I didn't apply myself at the time.

I think I could do a lot better at it now, if I had the chance to go back and do it.

One way to do it better would be to get rid of all self-consciousness, as best as you can. And concentrate or allow your instincts to hone in on the ball and the relationship you have with it and the field. Like a Zen state.

Man vs. Ball, or Man vs. Himself with a ball along. That'd be the way to do it. Just forget the other guys and be one with the ball, or against it in some sort of ultimate personal way.