Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Paying Your Doctor Bill With Chickens

I love the new proposal by Republican Senate candidate Sue Lowden, challenging Harry Reid for his Nevada Senate seat. But I have some issues with it.

She thinks we ought to pay for stuff by bartering. Her proposal for this is that all of us would raise as many chickens as we can and pay each other with them.

So say you went to the doctor to have a simple procedure like a colonoscopy, which might otherwise be $1,000 or more, you could get by with paying for it in chickens. Maybe 10 chickens, let's say, which would only be around $40 if they were dressed. That's a much better price, obviously.

This is true. I had one of those things that you put eggs in to hatch them, and got rid of it literally three weeks ago, right before this proposal came out. Isn't that something? I could've saved it, got "cracking" on some eggs, and been ready for the new Republican regime.

I have a couple of issues with it, the logic of it, though. If we're all raising chickens, wouldn't the doctors be raising chickens too, to pay for things they need? At some point, why would I want people paying me in chickens if I myself already had a bunch raised? I know, they're money, but if I'm making my own, you see, maybe I'd want something else. Plus it seems like counterfeiting to be making your own money.

When I go to the farm store to buy chicken feed, what do I pay for it with? More chickens? If the chicken feed guys get too many chickens, they're busy using up all the feed for their own birds, so what will they have left over to sell us?

It's a brilliant plan in many ways, since chicken is a tremendous meat, and if you get them before they die they also lay eggs.