Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Knives Are Out For Michael Steele

I heard that phrase today, "The knives are out for Michael Steele." I like the phrase, having heard it over the years.

Michael Steele, of course, is that yahoo in charge of the Republican party. He's a big goof as far as I'm concerned. He seems to get in trouble about as often as Dennis the Menace.

The most recent embarrassing thing for the GOP is their lavish expense accounts, chartered jets, lavish accommodations, and entertainment expenses that would make Hugh Hefner blush. Hey, where do I sign up to be a Republican bigwig?

When I go out to eat, let's say, I try to get by as cheap as possible, most of the time. Of course I splurge once in a while and have the dessert or a nicer entree. So we might spend $75 for a night out, not very often, and that includes a very decent tip. So I can barely imagine going out on the town and spending around $2,000 for the evening! It is just so out of the realm of my experience that I don't think I'd do it if I could. I'm a lot more frugal than that.

That's what this Republican guy was doing, living it up at a lesbian bondage club. Sure it sounds fun, but that might best be left off your official expense report, Stupid!

You'd think that conservatives would conserve. But we know, if from no other evidence than the Bush years, that they're remarkably profligate. They'll charge it! Scan the card! It's paid for!

About the phrase, though, that's what I wanted to get for. It recalls images of palace intrigue, knives being thrust through the curtains in the palace, and the minister of state is left in a pool of blood. No one knows who did it, but there's a brand new minister of state the next day who just happened to be available.