Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ghost Adventures

I hadn't heard of the show "Ghost Adventures" till last night, when I happened to be sitting downstairs when the TV was on. We were talking about something else and halfway watching it at the same time.

Since then I saw a couple more episodes, since it must be on all the time.

It's kind of creepy, of course, since they seem to have an extreme amount of paranormal activity happening, maybe too much to be at all realistic.

Several of the things stand out as something they might tweek. One, when you hear a disembodied voice, don't turn to the others and shout, "DID YOU HEAR THAT?" At that point it would be better to be quiet and see if the disembodied voice is going to say something else. It's almost like they're not really expecting any activity, so every time something happens they go ballistic and that's it till next time. How about just standing there and shutting up?

Two, it seems to me that it'd be smart not to assume every clunk, moth flying by, and hiss out of nowhere is spiritual activity. It would help the credibility of the show, in my opinion, if they seemed a little more skeptical, because anyone can come up with a list of other possibilities that aren't supernatural. They have heard of animals going into old buildings and having homes up in the rafters, I assume.

Three, maybe it'd be a helpful point to make that these places (the ones I saw) aren't abandoned to the spirits, but are on the National Historic Registry and are museums that are open to the public everyday of the week. Yes, they may be ruined in certain ways. But if they're actual museums, there's probably a heating system and electricity, pipes and things that are hooked up, systems that are turning on and off via a thermostat or a timer. Any of this can make all sorts of noises, cause all sorts of air currents, etc.

All that said, they do present the whole thing as very creepy.

Since I've watched a few shows, I'm thinking about all the normal noises you hear in the course of a day in a building. So many of them I could shriek, "DO YOU HEAR THAT?" and play it back a few times and maybe I could hear in the hissing the sound of my own name or some other quick sentence. I don't think their translations of "disembodied voices" appear all that accurate in relation to what I'm hearing out of my TV.

As for periodically being "possessed," as it seems they are, psychology would go a long way toward explaining that. There are all sorts of freaky things that can happen. The bottom line is, the living are more interesting than the dead.