Friday, August 8, 2008

Precious CDs

I went to a garage sale today. I like to look at CDs. You can get some decent albums for next to nothing, a dollar, 50 cents, sometimes a quarter.

At this garage sale there was a little stack of CDs, like maybe seven or eight. And a sign under them said something like, "CDs in the house. Ask to see them." So I thought they must have boxes or shelves of others in the house that they didn't want to bring out. I asked to see them.

The mom sent a little girl in the house to get them, and it was a small stack of CDs out of their cases. Then it dawned on me. These were the CDs that should have been in the cases there on the table. They had taken the CDs out and kept them in the house for whatever reason, apparently so no one would steal them.

OK, they were 50 cents each, not exactly a big moneymaker for them anyway. And they were really hot titles, like "Lilo & Stitch" and some kind of generic kids CDs, along the lines, I'd say, of Kidz Bop. There was also "Now That's What I Call Music - 14" but it didn't have a case. Real precious stuff, well worth keeping out of the reach of a sneak thief and a burgeoning black market for stolen goods of this value!