Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm Going To Leave It Alone

Just poking around in the West Virginia newspapers, I see there was an ongoing kind of feud -- at least hard feelings -- between Emile J. Hodel and Roy Lee Harmon in the '60s.

I quoted from the 1962 column by Hodel but it must not have started there, and it certainly didn't end there. I also saw one from 1964, and I believe there were a few others on the list (at newspaperarchive.com) from Hodel's paper that probably were more zingers flung Roy Lee's way.

But I'm pulling back. I'm going to leave all that alone. There's no one who cares. And even if I could be persuaded almost to care, just think of the research that it would take to flesh it out, and then I'd have what exactly? A barrel of bad blood between an obscure Appalachian poet and the son of a West Virginia news publisher? And the ink they spilled between them in this ancient sniping?

More or less -- this is my intention as of this writing -- I will leave Roy Lee Harmon in the past. He's a'mouldering somewhere -- his grave is not to be discovered at findagrave.com -- and we shall simply let him moulder.

(Long live The Beatles!)

P.S. -- I only have one more Roy Lee Harmon-related post that I intend to make, but that will not come today.